Tell a friend
Add to favorites
Subscribe to maillist

CFL member?

Log in member area


K-1 Fiancee Visa to the USA
Applying for a finacee visa
Requirements for pictures for the immigrant visas application
Visa interview
US port of entry
K2 visas for children of alien fiancees
Should I use the service of a lawyer

K-1 Fiancee Visa to the UK
How to apply
Documents required
Requirements to photographs
Where to apply

K-1 Fiancee Visa to the USA


1. Why should I apply for a fiancee visa instead of a tourist or other type of visa?
If your fiancee is under 40 years old and has never previously been to the United States or Western Europe, there is most likely only one US visa for which she will qualify, a FIANCEE VISA. Her chances of obtaining any other type of visa are very small. All attempts to get another type of visa, including business visas, educational visas, medical visas and a host of others, very often end in failure. Besides, after being denied any other type of visa it is more difficult to obtain a fiancee visa.

2. Why shouldn't I just marry my fiancee in the foreign country then bring her here?
This can work, but it is much slower than getting the fiancee visa first. First, you would have to be physically present in you fiancee's country a minimum of one month before the wedding. Then you would have to file her visa petition in the US and it would take at least twice as long to obtain her visa as the fiancee visa process takes.

So, the best way to bring your fiancee to your home country is to apply for a fiancee visa.

What kind of visa is it? What is the visa processing time?

What is required to obtain a fiancee visa? Where to apply?

What is my fiancee asked at the visa interview?

What documents are required for her child?

Shoud I use the service of a lawyer to obtain a fiancee visa?

What's the contact information of the Embassy?

You can find the answers to these and other questions below.


The Immigration and Nationality Act provides a nonimmigrant visa classification "K-1" for aliens coming to the United States to marry American citizens and reside here.


21-210 days at INS, 30-90 days at the American Consulate


- To establish K-1 visa classification for an alien fiancee, an American citizen must file a petition, Form I-129F, Petition for Relative or Fiancee, with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) having jurisdiction over the place or the petitioner's residence in the United States.
- Such petitions can not be filed or approved outside the United States.
- The approved petition will be forwarded by INS to the American Consulate office where the alien fiancee will apply for his or her visa.
- A petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of INS action, but can be extended by the Embassy if a visa cannot be issued during that period and the intention to marry still exists.


- Applicants who have a communicable disease, or have a dangerous physical or mental disorder; are drug addicts; have committed serious criminal acts, including crimes involving moral turpitude, drug trafficking, and prostitution; are likely to become a public charge; have used fraud or other illegal means to enter the United Stated; or are ineligible for citizenship, must be refused a visa.
- The two-year foreign residency requirement for former exchange visitors is also applicable. If found to be intelligible, the consular office will advise the applicant if the law provides for a waiver.

Applying for a finacee visa

- Upon receipt for an approved petition, the American consular officer will notify the beneficiary and give him or her the necessary forms and instructions to apply for a "K" visa.
- Since a fiancee visa applicant is an intending immigrant, he or she must meet most of the same documentary requirements of an immigrant visa applicant.
- All documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a notarized translation.

The following forms and documents are required for applying for a K-1 Fiancee Visa:


1) Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancee (completed and signed)

2) Form G-325A - Biographic Information (completed and signed by petitioner)

3) Form I-134 - Affidavit of Support (completed, signed and notarized)

4) A written statement describing the circumstances under which you and your fiancee met.

5) Copy of Birth Certificate

6) Proof of termination of any prior marriages of the Petitioner

7) Two INS Color Photographs

8) Proof of Financial Support (Bank Statement; Letter from employer; Last 3 years tax returns; Copy of paycheck stub)

9) Evidence that you have met and evidence of the relationship (Letters, emails, telephone bills, photographs together, receipt from engagement and/or wedding rings, receipt from deposit for catering/ reception hall)

10) A check or money order made out to Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


11) Form G-325A - Biographic information (completed and signed by Fiancee)

12) Two INS color photographs

13) Copy of Birth Certificate of Fiancee

14) Proof of termination of any prior marriages

Requirements for pictures for the immigrant visas application

Beginning August 2, 2004 the U.S. Embassy is implementing a new format for pictures submitted along with immigrant visa applications.
USCIS has decided to adopt the Department of State photo standard, currently being used for the MRIV, CIS documents, as well as for Immigrant visas.
The requirement is as follows.
All photographs should measure 2 inches by 2 inches (approximately 50 mm by 50 mm) with the head centered in the frame. The head (measured from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure between 1 to 1 3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm), with the eye level between 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches (28mm and 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo.

When photographed the person should look straight, his/her hair should be put behind the ears (without any earrigns in them). In the photo there should be a person's head and top part of the body (till the middle of chest). Facial features must be identifiable. If the person usually wears glasses - he/she must be photographed in glasses (there mustn't be any splotches). Photos may only be color, but must be taken against a white or off-white background.
All applicants, even infants included in their parents' passports, are required to have photographs.

Visa Interveiw

On the date of the appointment your fiancee should go to the Immigrant Visa section of the Embassy. Minor children under 14 do not need to attend the interview.

Your Fiancee will need the following documents for her interview at the Embassy:

1. Original valid international passport

2. Original birth certificate (with its notarized translation into English)

3. Proof of termination of any prior marriages (original and also its notarized translation into English)

4. A police certificate in all names ever used from the current place of residence as well as from any place or places of residence for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16. (This includes localities where applicants have lived during university studies. If the applicant was on military service, he/she should bring the certificate from the local draft board. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived. Police certificate validity is one year since the date of issuance).

5. Medical exam results

6. The form I-134 - Affidavit of Support and proof of adequate financial support in the US to ensure that the fiancee and dependant children will not become public charges

7. Evidence of valid relationship with the petitioner - pictures together, letters, phone bills, etc.

8. Photographs

ATTENTION! Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a Certified/Notarized English translation.

Any dependant child requires:

1. Valid passport (or may be included in the parent's passport)

2. Birth certificate

3. Medical examination.

4. If a child is 16 years of age or over, police certificates are required.

Translations of the indicated documents are required as well.


If your fiancee is divorced and has a child or children, she must get a notarized document telling that the father of her child permits him/her to move to another country. Her ex-husband and she must go to a public notary and fill in the permission form there.

If your fiancee is a widow with a child or children, she must go to the civilian registrar's (ZAGS) and get a document confirming that she is the only person in charge of the child/children. A single mother (never married to her child's father) must get this doctument at the center that protects single mothers.

If an applicant is required to provide additional documentation after the interview with an American consular officer has taken place, the documentation may be submitted to the 221G box at the Embassy North Gate between 2.00PM and 4.00PM on any working day or mailed to the Embassy.

Sharing experience. A true story from Steve, whose fiancee went through the interview:

"Big surprise--the interview was an extensive grilling. Among the questions she was asked were the following:
1. write your fiance's full name in English.
2. what city was your fiance born in?
3. what is your fiance's mother's maiden name?
4. what was your fiance's ex-wife's name?
5. what were the circumstances surrounding your fiance's divorce?
6. when and how did you first meet?
7. how many times has he been to Russia (interviewer reply: only two times!)?
8. what things do you have in common?
9. besides the kids, what do you have in common?

Three points:
- She did report answering all of the questions very quickly and confidently. However, just like running plays in football and oral exams in grad school, it might be better to slow down and answer each question at a relaxed pace--not because of the content of the question, but because it eats up the clock.
- There were a surprising number of questions about our relationship. It took her a couple of them before she just came out and said that she really loved me, and wanted to be with me forever. Apparently, some other fiancees took even longer to figure out that this is what our particular interviewer wanted to hear before going on to the next topic...
- How did she get him to stop? When he asked "What, besides family activities with the kids, do you like to do together?", she said "Well, when he was in Russia, and we finally got our boys to bed, there were lots of things we liked to do together when we were left alone :-)."

End of interview. "

Other frequently asked questions are:

1. Where does your fiancee live?

2. What does your fiancee do for a living?

3. When and how did you fiancee propose to you?

4. When and where is the wedding?

5. How many people are invited to a wedding?

6. Will you have a honeymoon? If yes, where?

The officer can also tell your fiancee some facts about your financial status and ask if she knows these facts.

She can be asked various questions, even unpleasant ones (it is quite common). For instance, such questions as:

1. Did you have relations with other men while you were married to your first husband?

2. Who paid for your trips abroad?

3. Who did you go abroad to? To other men?

4. Do your fiancee send money to you? (it is better if he does)

Though she has the right not to answer questions like these (according to the Law about private information (Privacy), no one can be forced to answer the questions about his or her private life). But the result of this refusal to answer a question will depend on the officer that interviews your fiancee. He may regard it as her unwillingness to answer questions or desire to conceal some facts from the Embassy and deny a fiancee visa as a result or may regard that she shows her dignity by this. So, it is better not to take a risk and answer all the questions.

US port of entry

- The marriage must take place within 90 days of admission into the United States.
- Following the marriage, the alien spouse must apply to the INS to establish a record of entry for conditional permanent residence status.
- After two years, the alien may apply to the INS for removal of the conditional status.

K2 visas for children of alien fiancees

K-2 visa is the visa category for the minor children of a K-1 visa holder.
All children (under 21 years old and unmarried) of an alien classified K1 should be listed on I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e).

The child of a K1 principal alien may acquire K2 status even after the principal alien has married American Citizen Petitioner and acquired lawful permanent resident status in U. S. A marriage certificate of the principal alien along with the rest of the required documentation must be provided for the child's visa interview in this case. The cut-off date for issuance of a K2 visa is 1 year from the date of the K1 visa issuance to the principal alien.
Once found qualified for visa issuance, alien fiance(e) and her child(ren) receive nonimmigrant visas in their international passports. K1 and K2 visas are valid for one entry into the U.S. at any time within the next six months.

Should I use the service of a lawyer

You can use the cervice of lawyers, pay them and they will tell you everything you need to do and you'll just follow their instructions. It is an easier and a bit quicker way to obtain a visa as lawyers can speed up the visa process. But if you prefer to do without lawyers - it is also possible. A lot of people managed to do it on their own. The letter from one of our clients is an eluquent evidence of it:

"HELLO, I want to thank everyone at chance for love, as my fiancee just got her visa to America yesterday!!!!!! ...I get paperwork going in May, I get approval in September, and she get visa in November. I want to say, that I hear always, get a lawyer for this. I look for lawyer, they wanted 8,000 dollars for paper work, I do all on my own. Yes it was hard, but I tell you if I can do it, anyone can!!!!! I want to say it was our love that made this happen, we worked hard for our love. I know that I have found the best women in the world."

Red Bluff, California

Contact information of the US Embassy in Moscow

Address: Bolshoy Deviatinsky Pereulok No. 8
Moscow 121099, Russian Federation - PSC-77, APO AE 09721
Tel: +7 (095) 728-5000, fax: 728-5090
(Moscow is 8 hours ahead of Washington)
Consular e-mail (for questions regarding visas and other consular services):


The U.S. Consulate General in St. Petersburg

Address: Ulitsa Furshtadskaya, 15, St. Petersburg 191028
Russia - PSC 78, Box L, APO AE 09723
Tel: +7 (812) 331-2600, fax: 331-2852
(Saint Petersburg is 8 hours ahead of Washington)
After hours emergencies: 331-2888



Fiancee visa to the United Kingdom

The only 99% failure-free way to bring your fiancee from Russia to the UK is to obtain a fiancee visa. You may ask: "why can't she come to me by a travel, visitor's or any other type of visa?" The answer is: "it is a great risk". An unmarried woman will most likely be denied any kind of visa, but a fiancee one. One of our couples tried it and the outcome was that first the woman was denied a travel visa, then a visitor's one and only after she applied for a fiancee visa, she managed to join her fiance in the UK. Good news is that not long ago the British embassy shortened the procedure of getting a visa The procedure of getting a fiancee visa is as follows: a woman goes to the British Embassy in Moscow with all the papers, stands in a queue and waits for Consul to receive her. (He receives till 1pm by Moscow time). During an interview Consul examines her papers, asks questions and makes a decision - to give or deny a visa. After 3pm the woman can come, take her papers and fly to England at once if she likes! She will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months with no permission to work. When she is married, she can apply for a two-year extension to her visa as a wife and, if her application is successful, she will be allowed to work. Near the end of this time she can apply to stay in the UK permanently. The term of visa procedure sounds really fantastic, especially in comparison with the long procedure at the American Embassy! However, it requires a lot of preliminary paperwork and you achieve the positive result provided all the documents are perfect.

How to apply

To apply for a fiancee visa, you need to fill in the appropriate application form (VAF-2) and submit the necessary documents. The applications must be submitted in person. It is the applicant's responsibility to check that the information given on the form is correct and they must sign the form themselves. Failure to observe this requirement may result in refusal of the application.

Applications will not be accepted unless accompanied by the appropriate fee (see "Entry Clearance Charges"). The fee is payable in cash, and only in Roubles.

You can download the application form in English or application form in Russian (in PDF format) from the site:

Documents required

When applying for settlement as a fiancee an applicant must have the following documents before coming to the Embassy and submitting the application:

- A valid passport with at least six months validity remaining and space to insert a visa.
- A fully completed and signed visa application form
- 2 passport sized photographs.
- The correct fee in roubles.
- Birth certificates of applicant and any children who are accompanying.
- Diploma of education.
- Evidence that sponsor is settled in the UK e.g. a copy of his/her passport or registration certificate.

- Divorce certificate or death certificate of previous husband or wife if either applicant or sponsor have been previously married.
- Six months worth of bank statements from sponsor.
- A letter from sponsor's employer confirming their current employment.
- Recent pay slips from sponsor's employment.
- Evidence of the accommodation that will be available to applicant - e.g. mortgage documents, deeds, tenancy agreement.
- Evidence of relationship, e.g. letters, e-mails, itemised phone bills, photographs, visas/passport stamps showing visits to see each other or holidays abroad together. Tip: besides the photos where a fiancee and fiance are together, it is also important to have photos of the two with girll's parents. It proves that they blessed the relationship.


1. The form must be filled in Russian

2. The applicant's birth certificate, divorce certificate or death certificate of previous husband and diploma of education must be translated into English and attested by notary public.

3. The decision of Consul half depends on the contents of these papers. For instance, if he considers that the income is too small to maintain a family, then even perfectly filled papers will fail to have a positive effect on Consul.

Some "tricky" questions in the application form

There are some tricky questions in the form. For instance, such as "Do you want to marry for money?". Silly question, isn't it? :) It is like the favorite question of the customs officials: "Are you carrying drugs?". Even if a man carries them, he will never confess! :)) Back to the question in the form, the right answer is certainly: "No, for love". But in this case your fiancee must be ready that she may be asked at the interview: "Even if he appears to be much poorer than he told you?" This question may take a woman aback. Even if she is sincerely in love with her fiancee, the prospect of having financial problems in a alien country, without profession and language…Only irresponsible adventurous women dare to do it! But she must pull herself together and doesn't let Consul confuse her. She goes only for love and ready for everything!

One more embarrasing question concerns intimate life and it sound as follows: "Have you ever had relations like in marriage with your sponsor?" You don't believe that the form has this question?? Check it yourself - point 5.11. Moreover they even encourage writing where it was and give some other details :)). A woman shouldn't get confused and must write everything honestly. If she had intimate relations with sponsor, she must write about it. For instance, "In Turkey, while we were staying in one room from (date) till (date)". If she states that she didn't have intimate relations with sponsor, she will be asked additional questions at the interview which are not easy to answer. And the main principle she should follow when interviewed by Consul is not to lie. It is always evident.

Requirements to photographs

You must attach 2 passport photographs (colour or black & white) to the front of the application. They must not be stapled over the facial area of the photograph but should be stapled along the edge of the photograph. Both photographs should be stapled on top of each other. Photographs with staples that overlap the holder's facial features will not be acceptable and such applications will not be accepted.

Photographs must also be:
1) Taken against a light background so that facial features are distinguishable and contrast against the background;
2) Clear and of good quality and taken not more than 6 months ago;
3) Printed on normal photographic paper;
4) Unmounted - 45 mm (vertically) x 35 mm (horizontally) in size;
5) Full face (without sunglasses and without a hat or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background).


All the documents listed above and all the words your fiancee says at the interview must prove that:

- you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months);
- you plan to live together permanently after you are married;
- you have met each other;
- there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married, and you will be able to live without any help from public funds; and
- you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds.

The best evidence that you are going to marry is an engagement ring. All the women that met their fiances through our dating service were asked to show it. One of our women didn't have a ring, as the ring her fiance had bought for her appeared to be big. So she showed the receipt. Consul considered it all right.

If sponsor have already started preparations to the wedding, it will be very helpful to show the evidence of it. One of our women brought to the interview the bills from the restaurants where the wedding was booked, the evidence from the church that the ceremony was really appointed and even the set of samples of cloth for wedding dress and bridal veil.

Interview experience

It is not necessary for a man to go to the Embassy with his fiancee, but some do to give support. Anyway, a woman is interviewed alone. What expects her at the Embassy? Here is the story from one man who went to the Embassy for interview with his fiancee .

"...I read some posts saying you must get to the embassy early. Glad that we did , we arrived at 6.10am and where 4th in the queue (froze my ass off for the next 2 hours though!!!!).
At 8.20 they opened the turnstiles , you go in after bag search , and then in an elevator up to the visa section. A man checks your application as soon as you are out of the elevator. He directs you to a window, just like at the banks in the UK. Here is where you submit your application form and collated information. Once this is submited you are issued a ticket and told to pay your application fee. You then sit and wait until your number is called in the queueing system. We waited approx one hour, and was then called into one of the inteveiw rooms together. There was a british gentleman and a russian translator. They explained that they would ask us questions separately starting with Irina, and then he would like a quick word with me afterwards.

So I left the room, 20 minutes later Irina emerged, and I went in. I was asked a few questions about Irina: how we met , what her profession is, her hobbies, about her family, where she live. Then a few questions about me, where I live, my income, do I receive any benefits, how long I have been in my job, what I do, what hobbies I have.

After only 5 minutes of questions from me he said we could collect Irinas visa at 3.00 that day!!!

We then sorted out some of the documents I had submitted with the application, he took a few and passed the rest back to me. That took longer than the questioning!!!

I emerged from the room and we started asking each other about what questions where asked, Irinas where pretty much the same as mine, but he asked her for more detail.

Before the interveiw Irina was running through questions in her head, she was a bit more nervous than I. She would ask me how she should answer particular questions. I would give the same reply each time, honestly and with the simplest and shortest answer possible! She said afterwards that if she gave a long answer it would lead to more questions about that subject, and after a few questions she soon remembered to give short answers!!! She said the other advantage for her was , the inteveiw was through an interpreter, so she would listen to the questions from the British embassy guy in english , and then think about her answer while the translater did her bit. She then answered in Russian, and added bits on when required while the translater was speaking to the embassy guy!!!!

We left the embassy and I was over the moon, I was a bit worried about Irina, she was not as happy, I asked her what was wrong, and she was worried she had given wrong answers and they would not give her the visa. It was at this point that I realised that they had not told her that she had been sucessful and could have her visa later that day!!!

We returned later that day and collected the visa , only about a 10-15 minute wait.

One thing that bothered me abpout the visa apliation process was that all the websites say to have as much information as possible, make sure you have last 6 months worth of payslips, bill, emails etc....which is fine. I had them all in date order , organised in a folder, labelled and sectioned. When we went to the window to submit the application and folder, the lady refused to take the folder and said I should remove all the documents and submit them loose!!! The reason - the folder would not fit through the hole on the counter !!! She would not take it through the door at the end of the counters either!!! So, if yo are submitting an application, use a small folder!!!!"

Where to apply

Here is the contact information of the British Embassy in Moscow:

Address: Smolenskaya Naberezhnaya 10, Moscow 121099

Contact numbers:
- (007 - from UK) 095 956 7250 - Enquiries (Russian language)
- (007 - from UK) 095 956 7352 - Enquiries (English language)
- (007 - from UK) 095 956 7440 - Fax enquiries


Please take time to look at the website of the British Embassy in the first instance. Probably you will find the answer to your query within this site.


ChanceForLove Online Russian Dating Network Copyright © 2003 - 2008 , all rights reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced or copied without written permission from ChanceForLove. Feel free to link to our site.